ASRT Authored Courses, Mammography
Breast Imaging Essentials | Module 4: Breast Anatomy
This module explains the stages of human breast development and defines important terminology for describing the internal and external anatomy of the adult female breast. You will also learn about the vascular supply and venous and lymphatic drainage systems, the hormonal influences of menstruation and pregnancy, and common breast anomalies.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• Discuss the stages of human breast development.
• Use breast localization terminology.
• Identify key features of external and internal breast anatomy.
• List common breast anomalies.
• Describe the architecture and cellular components of glandular breast tissue.
• Discuss the vascular supply and venous and lymphatic drainage systems of the breast.
• Understand hormonal and life cycle influences on breast physiology and mammographic appearance.
• Describe common surgical techniques including reduction mammoplasty, breast implants, and mastectomy
ASRT: American Society of Radiologic Technologists
About the author:
The mission of the American Society of Radiologic Technologists is to advance the medical imaging and radiation therapy profession and to enhance the quality of patient care.